Well, I finally got to the point where I figured since I’m getting a new tranny I might as well have a working speedo to go with it. I’ve never done this before, so I sat down tonight with the old speedometer that came in the $5 box of parts I got this winter and proceeded to tear it down, clean and rebuild it. Something neat I noticed, on the back written by hand was the mileage and a date of 7-28-60. My guess is this may have been the last time this speedometer was rebuilt. Pretty cool.
The back ring where the cable goes in was stuck pretty good as all old speedos seem to be. After getting it all torn down, I cleaned and lubed everything real good and reassembled. Man does that thing work smoothly now! Can’t wait to get the car back with the new tranny and put this refurbed speedo in. I’ll let you know how it worked out.